XLII

rough draft of first 5 parts from a long poem called:

"prayer rugs"

1-

i know that in every terrible home

there is a hyperactive dog

i know that i know some peoples' parents

might have raised me better

i know that i'm not that smart

and even though i can get away with

looking at where your third eye should be

instead of the eyes plain on your face

somebody is gonna call bullshit if i say

something like

"our spirits danced...."

but i mean really, fuck you you know

what i mean that is the way of the wanderer

i can look at the world however i want and say whatever the hell i want

and it isnt my fault and it aint your fault if my mind is just

a pond filled with broken mirrors and frogs howling in the storm

it is something that I work on all day in the bog of my mind I

take at it with a spade for long hours

with the pick ax and the burning sage

I will cleanse it all the waters will be brackish no more that

Shit is going to sparkle like sing sing sing

This is what I was telling my Uncle Bob, who is

A murderer and the maniac;

The Horseman of Wal Mart Death

We live together now;

what a pair,

he, the foaming jug

i, the looming fly

He still has the pistol in his boot


He did not want me to live with him but I do

and this is a wee strange thing but

I shall explain it all let me tell you how it came to Be

2-

Now how strange for a beginning to begin

In Florida

Because as

we all know Florida is where

The people go to die or to go crazy and I

Wouldn’t have had much to do with that

Place if it were not for Uncle Bob who

Went down to Florida to do the latter by

That I mean he went bat shit crazy down

There amongst the groves and the hats and

The sun with its leer the sun that has dandruff

The sun that shucked the husks of little girls

until they were just shit like beef jerky

It is the place that reminds me of

Grotesque genitalia

Worms in stolen handbags

Living till the end of it all and just sipping

with the liquid golden but tepid in a mug


O Florida forgotten on the lawn chair

O Florida rotting cantaloupe

O Florida Christmas woe

Thither went the Uncle Bob

In secret

To lose his mind--formally at least

cuz he was always a loon calling on the lake but

Kin is kin and when my dad

--who was a good man god rest his memory--

Discovered the troubles in Florida he took up n

Went on down to see what he could do for

His brother Uncle Bob

Sure I do not know precisely what happened but

My senses tell me it was something like this

and the only thing i trust is my senses they

blind the shit outta me but they're good to have around anyway

My dad who was a good man went to see if Uncle Bob

Was alright because you know a man has his suspicions

He senses like a mom that something is amiss

my dad went down to St. Petersburg

he saw the birds like clouds

he saw the jade waters cooing like

one thousand sleeping mothers for a minute

it was eden it was beautiful

yea rite

it is hot as fuck down there—august in Tampa baby

and everything was just bleached til about invisible

so who knows what really goes on down there

while everyone is squinting and cant see a goddam

thing

my dad probably squinted past wrecks and camps

squinting with that squint face all wrinkled up rolling

along past the missing in actions and the wanteds and

its a miracle everyone doesnt just drive the coupes

off the skyways

ah but they dont and my dad drove on


through the screen door

he could see the flies

and deranged uncle bob

moving in the gloom

rolling like a windblown

turnip or something wtf

brother bob open up s’fred your brother

opened up the door

and brought my dad

in through the screen door

where the flies went by like wweeeooooo and got lost again

and the tv was like the air in the unholiest of valleys

and the rug was wooden varnished and by god it was like it

was carrying old bones and hexes in it

uncle bob sat in a chair

the chair might have been

part of his body, part of his heart;

it was red and mottled and

Uncle Bob was silent he was the

Back rooms of the butcher shops

Hanging meat that died so long ago

That is how I imagined that house


I wasnt too far off ha ha cuz now i live

in that house I call it Chez Terrible

o sigh decrepit cushion, o a curse on these

liquor cabinets, no i cannot even look at

the entrance to Uncle Bob's personal chamber

this house is

Haunted by one guy who isn’t

Even dead but Uncle Bob is almost there

his seven spirits have departed his

three souls have drifted

or they drifted away and then

came back to this house


uncle bob what the hell he got

3 ghosts just for him and he

aint even dead an

those ghosts dont do shit but hang

around all day man

They are not so bad a ghost never is

They don’t know what is going on they

gave me the middle finger and fell

out the windows


By name they are Bobby, Robby and Robert

Nobody can say from whence they came

They hover like storks They

are by the stove they are in

The box of cereal they tell each

Other stories under the bed they

Are a retarded audience They

sneezed on the blind dog They left

During the commercial they

Are everywhere in that house and I know

that they were there when my dad

was sitting in this house so long ago




My father saw the ghosts

He didn’t want to be rude so he was just

Mum!

My dad after a bout of silence

During which something rotted

And something else deflated

He says,

“well uh so Bob

the house

looks good”

and

“yeah ha ha bob that

dog

is still alive oh whats its name

ah that’s right it doesn’t have a name

Uncle Bob don’t say not a damn word he just

Rub the arms of the chair like he was

Dreaming of cats

While that psycho dog

Is snapping at things that don’t exist and

Crying out its melodies, dad's like 'gross'

‘o the

Songs of a diseased dog’ thinks dad

And they were quiet both until Uncle Bob

Does this reach

A reach to a little table sort of thing but

The reach was like he was going for a

Book of black magic or like

Classified info

Tome of Doom

Compendium of Secrets

Cosmic Recipe

Latin Codex

Sacred Rebuses

Tinctures of the Lost

Or a knife

But his reach brings back a old computer

That is all of just Dell on life support

And he looks at my dad very serious

For a long moment before Uncle Bob

Says, “D'ye know

Fred

The danger that we are in

The danger that all of us are in at

This very moment

Look out of the window Fred

I see them now

I see the bombs I see hands chopped right off I see

Whiplashes I cannot see their ladys’ faces just a

Black mask just a hole just sucking hoooosh

Look at them those fucking ragheads those

Sand niggers the mother fucking towel heads

Listen at this here---Fred it is TERRIBLE

TERRIBLE THINGS are afoot my brother”

And Uncle Bob types something on the tiny keyboard with his big hands, he quivers, then

reads these headlines like

DISABLED ELDERLY FRENCH WOMAN HELD HOSTAGE BY SOMALI JIHADIS DIES

SECRET CULT OF DEVOUT MUSLIM MEN MEET IN SECRET AND DISCUSS THE OVERTHROW OF AMERICA

THEY HAVE FOUND THE PRAYER RUGS AND COPIES OF THE KRAN IN OUR DESERT


dad's like 'wait ya mean the qu'ran?" uncle bob say

shut up fred

HEADLESS BODIES IN THE AMERICAN DESERT

MUSLIMS SNEAKING ACROSS THE DESERT AND OVER THE BORDER THEY SPEAK FLUENT SPANISH AND ARE DISGUISED AS MEXICANS

My dad sat and listened

I imagine my dad listening

To the terror streaming and shrieking ancient as it ever was

On fly the hooded harbingers of fear and hate comfortable

in their seats for all of mankind as they ever were

o legendary timeless flights i have seen them

leaving their sky trails while i smoke in the alley

I remember when

uncle bob

showed me how he could chug

a bottle of schlitz in one glug

he showed me

on my birthday

and on new years

and on easter

at every funeral i've ever been to

I recaaaaaall

uncle bob slicking back

His white hairs with

Hands that had charred meat

All around the knuckles once I

Asked him about them and he said

“well jimbo sometimes I get myself

real drunk and since of course I’m ‘a

smokin all durin’ I forget bout the cigrette

and the butts burn all the way down and git

me these nasty old burns on my hands but they don’t

bother me none”

o heavens above I can see him now

drunk as a lord

somehow theres

confetti all over him and there he is

parked in his sedan with the window down

and the car alarm going off while he shouts

“give me the first class madam

I’m droppin’ trow”


i mean it should go without saying that

he was in the car by himself and there was

nobody else around, nope, nobody at all

at a wedding I saw him dance in

white blazer and black pants like

he was floating that was an illusion

his red face was

the setting sun over the arctic in winter and

at my aunt’s funeral he was drunk as a lord again

no he was drunk as the lord of the kings, sheesh

he stole some of my pokemon cards and ran away

while everybody else took my aunt to the cemetery

I remember talking

With uncle bob but he never told me

if he thinks like me, that everything grows out of trash

that every daffodil hides its roots deep in shit

shit like my dad, and uncle bob, and me, and my family

we are like the rebels hiding in the marsh---a blood line

with no galoshes and generations of bog ancestors to toil

the layers of marsh soil I can feel it in my teeth but one day I hope

to ascend the mountains and to go through the mists yes

I will be at peace I will close my eyes and not a single

THOUGHT

Will stagger forth out of the dark water and

disturb me no no how long have I tried to

keep my goddam mug from frowning

its tough shit smiling and ahhh I'm

ringing the bells I'm waking everybody up but

I'm going to bed or I'm remembering things but

they're the same thing anyway

3-

for long years I lived in the deep north

as I young sire I stood on the old green bridge

looked at the water below that moved

slow like concrete slow like sludge

I sniveled my hands turned purple

And I was about set to jump off I

Was a New England peasant I only

Wanted to die I imagined the ground

I would go away goodbye! and come back as a

Plant somewhere off the beaten trail

It would be o o so nice

You know its not so bad like that its

Just that folks sometimes feel as such

When the winter is above like a Russian nuke

Or you’ve been bumping along

in the doldrums off the coast thinking

about the ripping sails and the storm;

“takin on some water here boys lets

try to limp home” but everybody knows

when that ship comes in its gonna be

fucked

no not a soul left among the living all hands have died I wrote a note that said

“it was the black despair that got us” and put it in a tiny bottle sent that lady afloat

lost in New Hampshire like a drunken shepherd the sheep

have long since fled the canyons and dammit here I am

with this crook I look up and see 3 moons and they’re

like the skulls of the three stooges spitting down on me

16 years old and dreaming with the bottle of curses yes

when I was 16 I told people that I hadn’t been out of my

room since Regan was in office I was drunk I was hiding

concocting plans that never amounted to shit except for

falling asleep without knowing if it was night or day

o forgive me I have sought oblivion crawling along the sea floor

I swear I am no damn bottom feeder If I was my soul would be

Burning but nay nay I rage against the black swamps that call out

To me with their kazoos and partyhats no no no I wont go down there

13 years old sticking my tongue out squatting in the parking lot

something bleeding no doubt whistling to the war kings with

the bucks strapped to the hoods of their 4x4s I went home and

took my ass over to this kid’s house and his mom gave me sass

her name was Carol unholy whore of the bourgousie no Carol

asks me a question or something it must have been sassy cuz I DO

KNOW WHO RENOIR IS and I hate his ass

I don’t want any sushi it looks like rabies i

kicked Carol in the face I had steel toes I took to my winged heels dam sho


holy hell


I was awful I lived back there under the eclipse no shade

when I cough the guitar echoes I scandalized all of the sisters

why even bother to discuss it?

well you know a man has made his errors throwing

pennies in the well for idiots and some folks jump

right in the well you can hear them hiccuping down there

some get out some got skipping souls

you know I

know now that every woman manchild has his own path everybody

that i know has their own little old road some of em covered in dog shit

i just looked back at the craters on that path o sheesh my early days

goddam i was like MIA in operation desert fart I will look back no more

i journey onwards ha ha ho ho now here I go i have a trumpet

here i go nobody hands out maps for this route ladies start gearin up

oh darn those bells i hear them ringing o i'm ringing the bells

I am not crazy I am not violent nor is my devouring sorrow natural

No I was born pink and singing I was like all other babies a

Cherry blossom floating down from the tree I was fresh snow

It was this goddam world that did it to me it was the math teacher

with the mouth like a giant squid It was the coach who made me

eat mud and twisted my arm when I fucked up It was the junkies

next door that said rude shit to my mom when she was coming home

It was the fucking president he made my dad lose his job It was

my moms fault she told me about the death of her father It was

Eliza’s fault that lady o how she broke my heart It was the last

page of the book It was Wal Mart and Edgar Allen Poe It was that

fucking boyscout troop leader he made me watch when he shot

A squirrel with a bb gun then poked its eye It was my aunt’s

fault she got undressed in front of me when I was like 9 and o

screaming Christ how scarred was I she said ‘O

O Jamie its natural its fine go ahead and touch it’ It was

My nazi grandfather It was Saddam Hussein It was the cop

It was the janitor who raped the retarded man in the forest

behind the school It was the woods It was the lonely music

It was my stuffed bear lost in the trash It was my friends

that invited me to sleepovers to beat me up and hold me

down and fart right on my face It was the guy with the

pony tail who drove the motorcycle and crashed in front

of my house with some girl on the back and she died she

was splattered all over the place right by my mailbox

It was the fear the fear that stood on all the streets and

menaced with a fist

O such a fist you

would never see the likes of it on this earth It was the

yuppies from Boston in cars that called me a ugly and

a hick and a poor when I was riding my stupid bike to the store

It was when I found the den of the rats It was my birthday

It was the woods again It was the cracking snow It was the howling

On the river It was the lost tractor It was the great spirit

of despair closing its eyes and holding out its old hands

It was the winters It was the fox behind 7-11

It was the small roads and the plazas

It was my Dad crying in the garage

Oopsy daisy what is that shit

marche! tally ho! keep on going company forward march

look at me how I’ve gone on its all good its fine

I shall sorrow no more I use the device of HA HA

on this road I use it so much I might be driving in a car

At the highest speed 5th gear and the engine is going

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

All the way

You can see me probably I have the convertible I am

Wearing those goggles and the long scarf Away I go

I am the troubador of grand mischief see my dance

My dance will take me up the mountain where I

Will be at peace in the mist I will look out yonder

And my heart will agree with me and nod and

We will sit in rocking chairs on the top of the

Mountain



ah yes, my heart and I

But no really lets get back to the tale this

is just inexcusable don't ask for a refund tho


my dad was a good man he was

a good guy he went down to Florida

we left him in Uncle Bob’s house

that was filled with ghosts and

Styrofoam cups you know it was

Awkward as all hell

So

4-

Uncle Bob gets back to it like

MY COUNTRY ‘TIS OF THEE

SWEET LAND OF LIBERTY

MUSLIMS STEAL 50000 JOBS

AND KILL AN EDUCATED WOMAN

And my dad he just settin there and its really DAWNING on him

BLINDING thoughts as ‘holy smokes my brother is raving my brother has

swum out

He is drowning not waving O my stars what is a brother and a father to do’

uncle bob was waving his arms and screaming

uncle bob was waving a tiny flag and hehe

and trying to move but stuck in his evil chair

just in all a panic about the ragheads my dad

went on and spit in the can and stood himself up and went on and said,

"bob you believe this shit you gotta get some help brother

there are no jihadis hiding in arizona er i mean let me say

there might be a few here and there but not every muslim lady

driving a minivan round tampa bay is smuggling 15 tons

of bombs in her kids' underwear and packpacks why

don't you just give it a rest bob

you look like you done expired on the shelf brother

you look like you shook hands with the bubonic plague man

you know I know theres a lotta wackos out in this world

Islams included I got an aversion and I mean a real aversion

for any sort of extreme kind of fellow myself but I mean whats

the use in hatin them brother Bob it is not good for anyone and

it sucks up your life we all gonna die one way or another brother

shit I mean look at you self Bob you damn like a goddam

armchair Robinson Crusoe you stranded on your own island in your

own house shit cuz look here really Bob everybody a wacko in their own

little old way I know that you are a wacko so am I I am a crazy sometimes I go in my underwear and speak in tongues I sometimes cling for the moon when I’m in my boat I near drowned that time I dance on my rug and hold a torch some days I pretend that I am a floating mustache and that nobody can see me I pretend I am an ancient Chinaman wise in the ways I other times take into consideration freeing the animals from the zoo and giving them to the poor I am insane Brother Bob I wore a dress in secret I am insane Brother Bob just like you and in fact I tell you Brother I am a Muslim too what

about that now?”

uncle bob said dammit fuck

brother fred you one of them and

shot my dad in the stomach

with that pistol in his boot

No comments:

Post a Comment